F.E. WARREN AIR FORCE BASE –The full force of winter is just around the corner, so let’s stay safe this year. Team Warren can do that by following these safety tips while home, driving and playing in the snow.
Check heating systems:
- Have the heating system serviced professionally to make sure it is clean, working properly, and ventilated to the outside.
- Inspect and clean fireplaces and chimneys.
- Install a smoke detector. Test batteries monthly and replace them twice a year.
- Have a safe alternate heating source and alternate fuels available.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector to alert you of deadly, odorless and colorless gas.
- Learn the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.
Prepare vehicles for winter:
- Prepare a winter emergency kit to keep in your car in case you become stranded.
- Use a winter temperature formula windshield washer fluid.
- Keep gas tanks full to avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines.
- Check tire tread, or if necessary, replace tires with all-weather or snow tires.
- Service the radiator and maintain antifreeze levels.
- The kit should contain:
- Blankets, food and water rations, jumper cables, flares, a compass and map, flashlights and extra batteries, and a first-aid kit.
Playing and working in the snow:
- Wear appropriate cold weather gear: layers of light, warm clothing; mittens; hats; scarves; and waterproof boots.
- Work slowly and be mindful of how cold it is when doing outside chores.
- Hydrate frequently!
- And stay dry.
- Following these tips will help ensure you and your family stay safe this winter.
Warren Straight Talk Line
Emergency and severe weather alerts, base & road closures.